Tuesday, September 18, 2007

WHERE ARE ALL THE PICTURES?

Thought I might have written a little about my Manhattan adventure, but needed the pictures from Wade's camera. So I will just write a bit without them.

What a grand and glorious day it was, I arrived in Manhattan at the Port Authority on Wednesday, Sept. 12, and there was Wade. Nearly had to hug him to death. He had brought my ticket, the Senior Citizan one for about $5.00, as well as a bottle of diet Pepsi. A welcomed drink for a hot day.

We left the building and went across the street to his bank and I cashed in all of the bags of coins that I had brought, (because he told me to) that would weigh me down. Can you believe that it only came to $10.85 and it spit out 3 or 4 coins? So much for getting rich quick. He had already done his coins. This bank does not charge for this service and has a very special machine in the front lobby to do it. It even rewards you if you know the amount. Being honest, we had to tell the Teller girl that she was not supposed to give me $98.00, simply $10.85, and she thanked us for being honest. Her paper work was in such disarray and she should have put it away before taking us, and she got our ticket mixed up from the machine.

After arriving in the city, we began the walk back across town. Looked in the windows, enjoyed the sights, and walked along. At one point, starvation took over, and we had a hot dog, and sat down for a break. Wade thought we had walked about 5 miles. Very easy to do in Manhattan. I love to walk!!!!!!!

We decided to take a bus for a ways, but no bus came, and it was getting later and later. I didn't want to walk past central park in the dark, because of the homeless. Some of them are on drugs, some are maniacal. So we opted for a cab, about 20 blocks from Lincoln Center...near the upper west side. If I have related that correctly.

It was nice to sit down, and it was rather a quick ride. We got out of the taxi to take a bus the rest of the way across town, because of the price of the cab. But the bus was so nice. Actually there were two buses bolted together, with a circle in the middle of the floor to connect them. If the bus turned, like an inch worm, that circle allowed the back bus, to follow along. We sat where the circle was. And, it was a very welcome opportunity to sit down and a comfortable new bus.

Sort of like a truck cab pulling two 18 wheelers. We also saw one of those double decker buses go past. Next time, a ride on that, or else the boat around Manhattan. I would like to see the Castles that were brought here stone by stone, from around the world, and rebuilt. They are up the Hudson. I love a castle. If I had been able, I would have one, and would have married a Pirate, when I was younger. I did write a Pirate book one time. Lucky for me, I got to marry the Prince of all times, and what do you know, he turned out to be a cowboy. Who knew??????

Jim had taken that opportunity to call us when we were sitting on the bus and it worked out well. Since we were getting off the bus soon, I told him I would call him right back from the apartment, and so I did. He was still in Dellaware.

After what seemed like only a few minutes on that bus, we pulled up near Wade's apartment and we had arrived. His apartment was wonderful, and he has it decorated very nicely.

Wade had the most delicious drink waiting for me, I have never had that before and it was so refreshing. V-8 now makes a fruit juice called, "SPLASH"....WADE knows what is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larger than I thought it would be. I slept like a "stone" that night. I always wake up, and the honking and sirens with the window open were pretty loud. But I could go back to sleep. That bed was so comfy, it ate me up. Different times during the night I could hear the bagel truck from downstairs going in and out. That is a terrific place to live near! Plenty of goodies baked fresh in there, muffins, breads, bagels, and all sorts of things for a sweet tooth.

Wade had made beef stroganoff for supper that first night, and it was out of this world yummy. He is a fine chef. I put together a salad while he worked on that, and he had even made rice pudding for dessert. No sugar in that, of course! HA!!!! And on top of it he had put nice fresh strawberries, with cool whip that he put vanilla into, like I do. Dinner was wonderful.

Early the next morning I was up by 7 A.M. and made a nice bowl of cherios and bananas....fills me right up.

That Thursday, morning, we were out and about. Wade took me to some of the churches with fabulous "stained glass" windows, and I was so delighted. Since I am a stained glass window maker, I was very partial to that !!!!! St. Martins Church down the road and up the block, had the most gorgeous mosaics of the life of Christ that I have ever seen, and I have decided to try some of those Bible stories myself when I move west. Their little mosaics were only about 1/4 of an inch instead of breaking the tiles larger to a half inch, like they do today. There were quite a few of the mosaic pictures there, and it was very exciting to me. Wade knew that I would really be interested in that. Their windows were very magnificant also. A lot of the churches were begun many years ago (could I dare say nearly 200 years?) And, I imagine the windows came directly from Italy. A lot of gold work on them, and the statues were painted quite nicely. That was a Catholic Church. The caretaker told us that not many people use those large, lavishly fancy churches any longer. Guess they are in the wrong end of town or something. We were very safe walking there, though, in the day light. It seemed a shame, that it was an end to an era.

We stopped at our leisure for delicious croisants and focacia rolls and iced tea, a real life saver. After walking along for a spell. The Italian bread place had all sorts of fancy desserts, and crumpets...but I was attempting to keep away from all the sugar. (when I returned home, I had still gained three pounds)

After that, we walked further on and found Marcus Garvey Park. It made me think of Clark and Mona......we walked up, up, up, the circular stone stairway, it was huge. I forgot to count those steps. We went up to the highest part of the park, and overlooked the Empire State Building with the sun shining on it. Beautiful views there. And when we got down the other side, we had a cherry ice, (no I can't have that) and it was yummy and cooling from our hike. Wouldn't you know we were sitting in front of the Bill Clinton office building I think on 5th Avenue. Wade's favorite Dollar Shop was closed, but we continued down the "Ladies Mile" and shopped the Salvation Army store. Wade wanted me to get the Oleg Cassini jacket that was once "top of the line" and still appeared to be. And now I can wear it proudly. It was $8.00 and on sale for half off. We both commented that we wished we had Mona with us. She would have loved all of the fine bargains. I guess wealthy doctor's wives take their things there. I even found a fine linen blouse for $3.00, and it was in a beautiful aqua, and a lovely pink silk sleeveless blouse that I will need soon for Florida when Jim and I go.

After that, we took the train down to Chelsea, near his old neighborhood, and we went into a Wendy Girl's place and we had chili in a cup, with crackers, and what Wade called a "Frosty".....it was a chocolate shake....(no, I am not supposed to have that either) And, boy was that ever wonderful!!!!

Then it was on to the subway, and over to T.J. Max and Filene's terrific
Department Store.... Wade wanted to help me find an outfit there, but they didn't fit me. Since I am no longer 16, it was no use. They do not sell clothing from the dinosauer age, and they would be what I would pick. But someplace in this traveling down town, I did find some nice turkey plates that matched my dish set at home for the children to eat off of this Thanksgiving when I hold the dinner, and then I did find one black "pumpkin plate" that matches the ones I had gotten for the twins a few years ago. Jack came along, and I was never able to find him one. So, now they all have their special little holiday plates at Grammy's. When they are grown, I will give them to them for their homes. Perhaps to remember....the good times.

Wade and I also did a little Christmas shopping there. After that, I was getting to be worn down, so we took the #6 subway train back to Wade's place. We returned by at least 8:30 P.M. and we had walked about 7 miles that day. I made Wade my famous "CHICKEN SURPRISE" receipe and gave him the receipe. He did enjoy it very much. He made the salads while I made that. While it was cooking for 30 minutes, we ate the salads to tide us over, and then we talked the night away. Second day in Manhattan with Wade, another success.

Slept like a ton of bricks that night also. Friday morning I also enjoyed the cherios and bananas, and we were off. This time I had to get the afternoon bus, and we tried to get in as much as we could before I left. We went around the corner two blocks down and one over, and discovered "Our Lady of Mount Carmel"...what a find that church was. They let us in and we looked all over it inch by inch. The windows were stained glass, and to be sure, spectacular, and the carvings that hung framed on the walls were just terrific, no words to say how grandiose they were. The faces all painted, and the jewels in the carvings wore real gems. The Madona had diamond earrings in her ears. That church is now called a Shrine, as it has had several miracles happen there, and that is why the Pope told them to put in the real jewels. The church is kept locked, and you have to ring a bell to get in. There are oil paintings in large 8 foot circles on the ceiling, (6 I think) and it is just huge. A lot of angels are holding up posts and it is the feeling of being with God when you are in there....a safe and secure feeling that all is right. No matter what. I took that opportunity to pray for my dear family....my sister Pat (lives in Virginia) is trying to hang on for a new liver. I pray that she can have one. Her doctor would not use mine. You can not be over 65 and I am in such good health, he should have used it. Always for my dear Wade, and then the many others that I care about and love. I pray for Clark and his little family and hope I did not leave anyone out. I pray that P.J. sells his empty house soon.

On the way home, we found a pocket park and took pictures there. Hope that some of them turned out. The little park was a place to sit and paint, or play cards, or have a picnic. Great little park.

Wade took me to the bagel shop and we got something to drink and took our bagels over to a different larger park and we sat on the benches and spoke of things we liked or wanted to acheive. While we were there, we had a surrounding of little sparrows and a few of the larger Grackles, and we fet them from our bagels. He threw his seeds from his bagel, but mine was only filled with raisins. So I threw them bread. Each little bird was so afraid, not like my tame wild birds at home. But they all took their turn and had something.

After that, Wade and I left for his apartment down the road, and I had to pack up my suitcase. We got the bus across the street, and Wade found out we could get off and change I think to the subway, and come up under Port Authority. We did, and I was soon on the bus on my way home. I had to borrow a suitcase from Wade, as my little one that I took there, turned out to be his computer case....so who knew. But it was way too little to use to get everything home.

The day was really getting away, and I left later than I had planned. But I found it difficult to leave Wade in Manhattan.

When I returned, to Port Authority, I hated to leave Wade behind and we had made our farewells hurriedly....my car was safe and sound and I was able to simply drive it right home to all of my waiting deer, (15) and my woodchuck and the four fish. Once inside, I discovered my dear Jim was home also. Nice to go away, so good to be home.

Perhaps in two weeks, I can make that trip again, and this time, bring Wade home with me. He is going to help Clark replace one of the pillars on my front porch. There are four of them, but only one is really ruined from the water off the tree near it.

But that is a tale for yet another day.






Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home